On Meredith Leigh (& Katie Button, Jael Rattigan, and the whole crew)

 I just finished listening to Meredith Leigh's interview on the Female Farmer Project. To be honest, I almost didn't download it. I kinda dreaded it. Just... innately. 

No offense to the amazing Meredith Leigh. Especially now that I've listened to it. 

I'm from Asheville. And I tend to eschew popular things (that feels redundant). So when I hear about how awesome Meredith Leigh is, I kinda roll my eyes, in a "no DUH" way. The same with Katie Button. They're like, the rock stars of the Asheville foodie world. 

And yet, I let myself start the episode, with the permission I've gotten comfortable with - I can always skip ahead if it ends up being disinteresting in some way (seriously, no offense Meredith and Katie, neither of you are worthy of the term). 

And yet, I didn't skip ahead. In fact, I found myself enthralled, and reminded of how awesome Asheville food ladies are, especially Meredith in this moment. She inspires me to consider becoming a true omnivore again. Seriously, I kind of want to/don't want to read her book now. 

I am reminded of how beautiful the circle of life is. How important that we don't take for granted our responsibilities at our very specific spot in the world. 

And it's okay if you don't yet know how awesome these ladies are. I'd say you're only harming yourself by not knowing them yet, but really, you're depriving the world of the beauty you can bring into it once you're inspired by them.

I guess the point of this all is, go listen to that episode. Or this Cherry Bombe episode about Asheville food ladies. Only a percentage of them fit into one episode, so at least listen to the two. And let your inspiration take you wherever else you need to be. 

I'll just be here, in my Indianapolis kitchen, waiting to hear what you were inspired to.

Comments

Popular Posts